When I was a teenager, we were the only family in our New York town that didn’t own a car. And having no car was 21 because all my friends’ parents did.
We were poor. Suddenly a moment arrived 22 my life forever. For weeks a new Buick Road Master 23 in the window of the biggest store on Main Street. Now, on the special night, I stayed in the shadows at the edge of the crowd waiting for the winning 24 to be drawn.
It had never even entered my mind that we would 25. But the loudspeaker called my father's name! 26 I wormed my way up to the platform, the mayor had presented dad with the 27, and he had driven off amid28. I ran 29. Mother met me and told me that my father had asked Jim, his boss, if he wanted to buy a ticket. Jim said yes and my dad 30 two tickets in his own name with his own money, 31 348 for Jim and the winning number was 348 instead of 32 one 349.
“Your father is struggling with a/an 33 problem. But I think if you have character, you have the better part of 34 and I know your father will do what is right,” mother said 35. At last we 36 dad’s step on the front porch，I held my 37. He went straight to the 38 in the dining room and dialed. Jim’s phone rang for a long time...
39 over the years, I know now we were never 40 than we were at the moment when dad made the telephone call.
21. A. relaxing B. shaming C. worrying D. pleasing
22. A. saving B. improving C. risking D. changing
23. A. had stood B. had been on sale
C. had performed D. had been under repair
24. A. team B. guy C. ticket D. boss
25. A. jump B. fail C. strike D. win
26. A. As soon as B. Because C. By the time D. Although
27. A. dollars B. keys C. medals D. tickets
28. A. shouts B. prayers C. noises D. cheers
29. A. home B. downtown C. to my friends D. to the platform
30. A. saved B. bought C. booked D. printed
31. A. calling B. writing C. marking D. bringing
32. A. the other B. another C. the lucky D. other
33. A. embarrassing B. mental C. puzzling D. moral
34. A. wealth B. poverty C. health D. belief
35. A. with anger B. excitedly C. calmly D. with anxiety
36. A. saw B. heard C. followed D. found
37. A. arms B. mouth C. eyes D. breath
38. A. phone B. cup C. ticket D. window
39. A. Looking out B. Looking up C. Looking back D. Looking in
40. A. poorer B. richer C. more foolish D. more clever
21-30 BDACDCBDAB 31-40 CADACBDACB