The last thing Kim Powell-Woods wanted for her birthday was a newspaper story. But her day on Wednesday was just too unusual to 41 . Instead of a traditional 42 with gifts and a birthday cake, the Limestone woman wanted 43 . She planned that for her 35th birthday, she would do 35 acts of random kindness for 44 . “I thought of it a couple of weeks ago, and I sat down one afternoon and 45 making a list of things I could do,” she said. She added that her job, as a 911 46 , put her in touch with people who were having very bad days. She wanted a day when she might help people have a(n) 47 day. “And, as a single mother of two, I know a lot about what it’s like to be in all kinds of 48 . So, I wanted to give people a little boost,” she explained.
She started at 5 am. At a 49 station, she helped a woman» who was trying to 50 some household things. She needed money to buy gas to get to work in Momence. Kim 51 that gas. Kim made some sandwiches the night before and packed lunches for other 52 strangers. She gave them away at the bus stop at noon. She remembered what it was like to 53 the bus and have no plan for 54 .
The only 55 she hit was a laundry attendant who 56 to make change for her. While Kim may have 57 smiles to 35 faces, at least one woman wanted none of Kim’s 58 of goodwill. “I’ll probably do this again, and I’ll wait for a(n) 59 one, like my 40th birthday,” she said. And she might get her 60 at a bank.
41. A. remember B. follow C. ignore D. record
42. A. custom B. culture C. choice D. celebration
43. A. wonders B. smiles C. wealth D. fate
44. A. strangers B. friends C. families D. colleagues
45. A. quitted B. forgot C. started D. regretted
46. A. victim B. operator C. patient D. witness
47. A. shocking B. energetic C. ordinary D. brilliant
48. A. stories B. kindness C. difficulties D. experiences
49. A. gas B. bus C. railway D. underground
50. A. save B. sell C. borrow D. repair
51. A. paid for B. took away C. wasted D. passed
52. A. impolite B. annoyed C. careless D. surprised
53. A. ride B. drive C. push D. wash
54. A. future B. lunch C. life D. work
55. A. success B. enemy C. barrier D. opportunity
56. A. hoped B. managed C. demanded D. refused
57. A. brought B. drew C. lent D. broadcast
58. A. plans B. achievements C. actions D. attention
59. A. easy B. significant C. full D. favorite
60. A. fees B. applications C. encouragement D. change
41〜45 CDBAC 46〜50 BDCAB 51〜55 ADADC 56〜60 DACBD