I live in a rural community in the United States. A rural area is different from a city because there are 41 people. My home is deep in a valley 42 by mountains that are rocky and covered in trees. 43 many farms are located in rural areas because they require large plots of land to grow food or 44 farm animals, in my community the mountains and 45 soil make it difficult to farm. This is one 46 why few people live in my area.
What’s it like to live in the mountains? Since we have a lot of 47 , we get to have horses and chickens. My family 48 eggs from the chickens for breakfast. We also lose electricity a lot because the trees fall on power lines whenever there’s a 49 . In my community, people keep battery- powered flashlights and oil lamps stored in case the lights 50 . Some people also use a generator-- a machine that generates electricity from gasoline—whenever there are 51 .
Going to school in a rural area means having fewer classmates and 52 longer distances. To get to my high school, I must drive forty miles to the 53 city. This means I must get up much earlier than my 54 classmates in order to be on time. The roads in my community aren’t paved with asphalt(沥青) either, so during storms they 55 become too muddy or snowy to pass. In cities a snowplow(扫雪机) 56 quickly, but areas where fewer people live aren’t the priority(优先), so days can pass before a snowplow 57 the road. Sometimes I must miss school because storms make it 58 to drive.
I am not sure 59 if I want to live in the country or in the city when I grow up. I like being in nature, hearing the creek and the birds, and having a big yard. I also like being in the city, though, where I can go howling or skating, or see my friends. It can get 60 in the country, although I do love being around our animals.
41. A. few B. many C. fewer D. more
42. A. surrounded B. hidden C. shadowed D. enriched
43. A. When B. While C. Because D. If
44. A. feed B. grow C. train D. house
45. A. rich B. muddy C. rocky D. snowy
46. A. explanation B. cause C. excuse D. reason
47. A. space B. room C. place D. land
48. A. lays B. harvests C. buys D. picks
49. A. storm B. thunder C. lighting D. shower
50. A. put out B. wear out C. run out D. go out
51. A. dangers B. risks C. emergencies D. incidents
52. A. walking B. running C. driving D. traveling
53. A. nearby B. distant C. nearest D. farthest
54. A. rural B. city C. old D. new
55. A. can B. may C. must D. should
56. A. comes by B. comes about C. comes to D. comes out
57. A. cleans B. digs C. clears D. covers
58. A. likely B. necessary C. improper D. impossible
59. A. still B. yet C. even D. as
60. A. quiet B. lonely C. alone D. busy
41-45CABDC 46-50DABAD 51-55CDCBA 56-60ACDBB