Two years ago I took part in a speech competition and delivered a memorized speech. It was a hard time for me when the judge __16__ the winners. At last, the moment of truth came. I got the worst.
After not being placed in the competition, I really wanted to __17__ again. I realized that finding the right topic was the most important part of the whole __18__. It needs to be motivational and inspirational to the __19__. So I reworked my speech for the following year, __20__ a different topic and spending many hours before the computer and in libraries doing research. Then I worked __21__ the speech, line by line, word by word, making it __22__ better.
The next year I participated in the competition again. I gave my __23__ in two parts, one was about my own experience and the other was about the feelings that people usually have when giving a speech—how __24__ it is, standing on a stage all alone, with everyone sitting and watching them. My speech __25__ down well and I was hoping to do that a little bit better. __26__, my wish didn’t come true. The competition was so fierce and again I wasn’t __27__.
I was deeply disappointed, since I couldn’t accept the fact that I had __28__ twice in something that I had worked so hard on. However, I knew that losing is __29__ and part of life. One of the judges said to me that my speech was quite good, __30__ it needed to be better if I wanted to go any further. He advised me to struggle to __31__ something like some of the empty gestures. He said that I would surely succeed someday.
While I didn’t earn __32__ as a result of the competition, I did gain a new viewpoint. I discovered that I could fail successfully. I think I’ll __33__ to work hard and enter the next competition. Now, whenever I’m faced with a defeat, I __34__ myself of what a famous person said, “The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from under me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself that it’s a slip and not a __35__.”
16. A. announced B. predicted C. observed D. interviewed
17. A. suffer B. compete C. win D. check
18. A. range B. condition C. system D. process
19. A. audience B. companion C. director D. author
20. A. reviewing B. supposing C. picking D. comparing
21. A. during B. against C. behind D. through
22. A. increase B. flow C. expose D. occur
23. A. choice B. instruction C. reason D. speech
24. A. annoying B. surprising C. frightening D. confusing
25. A. went B. dropped C. slowed D. rolled
26. A. Angrily B. Sadly C. Strangely D. Eagerly
27. A. settled B. treated C. placed D. affected
28. A. decreased B. escaped C. struggled D. failed
29. A. flexible B. normal C. appropriate D. typical
30. A. but B. so C. for D. or
31. A. assume B. declare C. overcome D. acquire
32. A. profits B. awards C. comments D. qualities
33. A. continue B. agree C. regret D. apply
34. A. allow B. inform C. accuse D. remind
35. A. kick B. push C. fall D. walk
16—20 ABDAC 21—25 DBDCA 26—30 BCDBA 31—35 CBADC